Interview with Mr. Loven Ramos, Artist by Philippine President’s Media Team
Loven Ramos says on Facebook (4 April 2012):
“I am missing the chance to meet President Aquino in Phnom Penh today because 1.) 11 professors from my university are staying with us today at the hotel 2.) I have way too much work for the opening of our new exhibition on Friday, Khmer Revelry, at 1961 and also the Woven Words Poetry Workshop with Luis Batchoy on Saturday. 3.) I am running seriously low on funds for all the traveling we’ve been doing to Phnom Penh!
So instead of sulking for the missed opportunity, I am thanking the heavens for a chance to be interviewed by the president’s media team as one of the featured Filipinos in Cambodia… (thanks Léon Franco for the link!)”
ABOUT LOVEN RAMOS
Loven Ramos is a Centralian visual poet who moved to Cambodia in 2005 as a graphic designer for a local hotel. Six months to his contract, he received calls from other hotels and institutions to help them with their design work as well. Realizing the potential of the business, he quit his job and opened his first venture in Cambodia – a design and photography studio called Spoolworks.
Now able to balance his commercial work with his passion for the arts, he was able to work on his series of artworks about Cambodian monks which led him to exhibitions all over Cambodia, the Philippines and Singapore. The same series of artworks also got him an invitation to represent the Philippines and Cambodia in the 2008 Beijing Olympics Global Art Exhibition.
His passion for the arts and design enabled him to open several businesses and projects like Poetry, ArtDeli, the One Shop, Hotel 1961 (all in Siem Reap) and recently, the ARTillery in Phnom Penh. The Phnom Penh Post recently called him one of the kingdom’s most dynamic, young “ART-repreneurs”, always bringing art to the core of his business endeavors.
Loven also does photographic tours and historical tours of Angkor on a regular basis, and he has led these tours to prominent celebrities and government officials like Senator Loren Legarda, Senator Piya Cayetano, and business tycoon Ben Chan.
Loven is still based in Siem Reap with his wife Faith, also a Centralian and his son Freedom.
BUSINESS VENTURES / PROJECTS:
A photography and design studio established in 2005
- As a designer, Loven has handled design and brand management for major companies in Cambodia and worldwide such as Raffles Hotels, Sofitel, Aman Resorts (Indonesia), Orient Express, Voyageurs sans Bagage (France), 2BU ad agency (Australia) and Xyclo (USA)
- As a photographer, Loven has been the photographer to official state visits and events for the following leaders and celebrities: HRH Queen Sofia of Spain, President Ruth Dreyfuss of Switzerland, Princess Maha Chakri of Thailand, and pop star Ricky Martin.
A clothing and lifestyle store opened in 2009
- Featured in the Philippine Star and Garage Magazine
An art gallery and cafe opened in 2010
- Featured in publications like Travel+Leisure, DestinAsian,
An art hotel and gallery dedicated to the 1960’s opened in 2011
- Featured in a short documentary on Canada’s Evasion TV Channel
- Featured in a documentary on travel to Southeast Asia in GMA 7’s I-Witness Program
- Featured in CNN’s Go.
ANGKOR ART EXPLO
The first bi-yearly art festival in Angkor and Battambang started in 2011, next one is in January 2013
- Brought in 5 artists from the Philippines to co-exhibit with 30 other artists from Cambodia and all over the world
- Established the “Art in the Countryside” program through a 200 km journey on art bicycles
A café, boutique and art gallery opened in 2012
Central Philippine University Blog is proud of you. Your works and achievements are inspiration to us. God bless you and your family!